– I am generally known as being a supporter of synthetic core strings. So the question that arose was why did we spend so much time and effort developing a violin metal core A string?
– There is a bit of an issue with making violin string sets. The E string cannot be synthetic, and so a plain or wound metal wire E is commonly used. There is always a bit of a problem with the compatibility of the metal soprano range E string with the alto range (G, D and A strings). String makers obviously aim to achieve a seamless change between the soprano and alto ranges, however a slight difference is always heard.
– I was particularly influenced by the Soviet and Russian school and playing style during my studies, and used a metal core ‘A’ during that time. Many of my Russian violinist friends preferred to have the soprano-alto ‘break’ between the A and the D strings instead of between the E and the A strings.
– Later I switched to using gut and synthetic A strings, but learned that some instruments just wouldn’t work well with any kind of gut or synthetic core A string. Some instruments always had a problem with their response and playability if a synthetic or gut ‘A’ was fitted.
– This is why I always wanted to make a metal core A string which had a trouble-free response, but which had the tonal character of a synthetic or gut string. I aimed to create a metal A which would sound warm even under maximum bow pressure. Developing our new metal A string took longer than I expected, but we have now successfully created a string which gives an unmatched response with a warm tone.
– The Russian Style violin A string gives you a seamless and mellow switch between the alto and soprano registers, excellent response and incredible durability. I believe that you will enjoy it.
Returns and Exchanges
There are a few important things to keep in mind when returning a product you purchased.You can return unwanted items by post within 7 working days of receipt of your goods.
- You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.
- Only items that have been purchased directly from Us.
- Please ensure that the item you are returning is repackaged with all elements.
Ship your item back to Us
Firstly Print and return this Returns Form to:
11 Hannibal Street, Kensington, Johannesburg, 2098
Please remember to ensure that the item you are returning is repackaged with all elements.
For more information, view our full Returns and Exchanges information.